Basement renovations are a great way to add value to your home without having to plan a major home addition. Basement renovations also increase your living space and give you a change to think about what other spaces you might want in your home. Popular choices include play areas for children, workshops, hobby rooms and exercise spaces, as well as home movie theaters.
When you are thinking about basement renovations, you should consider whether your plan to sell your home at some point. If you intend to sell your home, it is a good idea to add spaces in the basement that will appeal to others. A family room that provides a social space is a popular choice. You could also consider adding a guest suite with a bedroom, bathroom, and maybe even a kitchenette or laundry space.
Here are some other things to consider when redoing your basement:
- Adding windows and doors may require a professional’s help, but can increase the light and ventilation in your space.
- Renovation is a perfect time to consider moving the stairs to your basement if they are in an inconvenient or awkward location.
- There are many great choices for flooring in the basement, but solid wood is not recommended because it is more sensitive to moisture.
- For the ceiling, you must decide if you want to finish with drywall, put in a drop ceiling or just paint the ductwork and plumbing that is exposed.
- Consider storage solutions as you will probably still want to use the basement for storage.
Basement renovations are a great way to find new things to love about your home. Not only can they improve the value of your home, but they increase your living space and the possibilities you have available!