Getting bored with your current living situation? Has your family outgrown your starter home? You could begin the never-ending search for that perfect home, or you could build your dream home from scratch. Building a house can be a dream come true, but it’s quite the project. Here are a few things to consider.
- Understand the length of the project. As you might guess, building a house takes time. Depending on the depth and difficulty of the project, it could be seven months to a year or more before you get the key to the front door of your dream home. Be sure to have alternate living arrangements for the duration of the project.
- Set a budget. It’s easy to let the excitement take over when building your dream home, so it’s important to set a budget early on and stick to it. At Chad Goodin Signature Homes, we’ll communicate with you about your budget and work hard to stick to it throughout the project.
- Have a vision in mind. It’s easiest to build a house when you have a clear vision of what you want it to look like in the end. If your dream home is just a vague idea, take a drive through different neighborhoods or scan the internet for ideas of styles and interior designs you might like. Your builders and architect can help you with the details of implementing your ideas, but you’ll want to consider the size you need as well as the number of stories, bedrooms, and bathrooms, etc.
- Pick the right lot. Building a house is just as much about getting the house just right as it is about finding the perfect area to live. At Chad Goodin Signature Homes, we’ll walk every lot with you until you find the perfect fit. We’ll also explain any details and requirements for building on that specific lot.
- Figure out the financing. Unless you’re planning on paying out of pocket when building a house, your financing options typically include a construction loan or mortgage. You’ll need to provide the lender with a schedule, budget, floorplans, and a list of materials needed.
If you’re ready to start building your dream home, give us a call today.